Direct Support Professionals Week Sept 11-17, 2016
Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton issued a proclamation on August 11, 2016 declaring the week of September 11-17, 2016 “Direct Support Professionals Week.” Here is the text of the proclamation:
- Direct support professionals are the primary providers of publicly-funded, long-term support services for millions of individuals with disabilities; and
- Direct support professionals build close, respectful, and trusting relationships with individuals with disabilities as they assist them with their most intimate needs including meal preparation, medication assistance, bathing, dressing, mobility, and other daily tasks; and
- Direct support professionals provide essential support that helps individuals with disabilities stay connect to family, friends, and the community; and
- Direct support professionals help individuals with disabilities live meaningful, productive lives, and make it possible for them to live successfully in their communities and avoid costly institutional care; and
- The majority of direct support professionals are employed in home and community-based settings, and this trend is projected to increase over the next decade; and
- There is a critical and growing shortage of direct support professionals throughout Minnesota and the United States.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, MARK DAYTON, Governor of Minnesota, do hereby proclaim the week of September 11-17, 2016, as
DIRECT SUPPORT PROFESSIONALS WEEK.